momlogic community

Cross-nursing - " ... there is a growing trend of cross-nursing, in which a mother will allow another woman to breast-feed her baby."

There is? I don't think I'd be ok with this!

Tags: breastfeeding

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No way! There may have been a time when this was done, but there's no need for it now and there are more diseases to worry about in this day and age.
Sounds a little Big Love to me. Without the entertainment.
That is gross.
Wow, thats what I sharing. I think in a pinch, maybe. If you get stuck in traffic or have an accident, just to tie the little over, but other than that no.
Not beacause it's wierd but because of the purposes behind it. It's pupose is not for convience or budget, it's main pupose is the physical and emotional benefits that someone else can not provide. It's your own special nutrient combo that has sustained them for 9 months and is what is needed for health. The bonding that occurs definitly can not be replaced. I would have to think that it would be confusing to the child.
Angie The Average said:
Wow, thats what I call sharing. I think in a pinch, maybe. If you get stuck in traffic or have an accident, just to tie the little over, but other than that no.
Not beacause it's wierd but because of the purposes behind it. It's pupose is not for convience or budget, it's main pupose is the physical and emotional benefits that someone else can not provide. It's your own special nutrient combo that has sustained them for 9 months and is what is needed for health. The bonding that occurs definitly can not be replaced. I would have to think that it would be confusing to the child.
Nope I would not do it either. Its just wrong!! Breastfeeding is between a mother and her child and no one else!!
I think obviously it's a personal choice between friends... and as I've seen someone else online state before we drink anonymous cow lactate almost daily. We don't know these cows, we don't know what they're consuming, where they've been, how well taken care of they are by the farms... at least with your friends you know who they are and if they're fairly healthy individuals. If you trust your friend well enough and have that kind of relationship then that's great! I don't know if I would personally do it, but then again, I don't have any friends that would meet my requirements!
Years ago they were called "wet nurses". Do I think I would want my BFF to nurse my child...no thanks! I can see if the woman (mom) had nursing issues, but not just because she was stuck at work, or had to be away from the baby for a couple of days. Then you have to worry if the woman is drug/disease free......
This is beyond weird. Not ok .
I am an ex nurse and was a breastfeeding mom. I am one of the ones that has done this. I fed my sisters little girl. We had our children just four months apart. She could not nurse her daughter due to an infection. My niece almost died she was allergic to every formula we tried. until she was 3 months old. My sister was like you was no too happy about this when the doctor recommended it. When it saved her child's life she gave in to it. We finally found a new formula back then made of potatoes that she could handle.
I also watched a friends nephew, that was from out of state. They were out late due to a wedding and the child would not take a bottle. His mom asked me if I would breastfeed him if things got bad due to him not taking a bottle. She was very hesitant about asking but she did. I told her no problem I would try the bottle which he had never had before but would not make him cry his self sick before I feed him. My son was on one side and hers on the other. I never even thought about it not being natural. He finished and got down to play. I was also still nursing my niece then so it was just like feeding triplets. Being a nurse I was tested for everything every couple of months so I knew I was clean.
I figure you get milk from cows a different one every time you buy a gallon. So what is the difference? I did it to keep a child alive and help another breastfeeding mom not to have a panic attack the first time she left her child. Brestfeeding was so natural for me I only stopped feeding my second child when she undressed me in front of the Pasture and my uncle without me even noticing her doing so. She is allergic to Latex and could not take a bottle. She was 18 months when we gave it up.
Sorry if I up set anyone of you for doing this. I just can't see having a baby either get sick due to what ever they put in formula, or cry him self to being sick because he does not understand what a bottle is.
There is a difference between being open-minded and what works for you...I consider myself a very open-minded person and share tons of respect for how people choose to love their lives. I'm just struggling with this concept! Sure, I hear the benefits of how helpful this can be, but I can't get past the thought of my baby suckling on my friends breast. Call me old fashion, but, I feel like that special bond is between mom and baby, not baby and mom's friend or aunty, etc. Ahhhhhh, I'm really not comfortable with this one...For those of you that find this works, Godspeed!
For all the young women out there who may think this unacceptable, read Ann Wilson's comment. I agree with her in every aspect. One young woman wrote that mother's milk is formulated especially for their own baby. This is not so. Remember, you provided the DNA, each and every woman is made up of the same elements of life. This practice has been performed since the beginning of time. It is all about providing the antibodoes for the infant, giving the baby a head start to a healthy life. There is no question that the nursing mother's health should have no problems or she wouldn't be able to perform this wonderful act of kindness. Read articles from the Le Leche Foundation. Nursing Mothers are a blessing to many a child. My grandchildren who were not nursed had problems with these formulas that are out there now and how much do we really know as to the content and chemicals that are in these powdered formulas and they really do not smell good. When you think about the prepared formulas that are in cans, how long have they been contained in the metal and under what conditions? Chemicals are more harmful than an unknown mother's natural gift. As you can tell, I'm all for nursing mother's who will share the gift of life to one of Life's greatest blessings, your child. Needless to say, more women need to be more openminded about this subject. Believe it or not, there are even young mother's out there who don't want to nurse because they don't want their breasts to sag. Trust me, gravity will do that for you eventually! (And there's always plastic surgery!)

Fawndoe said:
i saw an article about this the other day... i would understand if ... nope, i don't think i can understand it. except for the police officer who breastfed those babies under extreme circumstances or other such occurrences (accidents, injuries, etc.) i can't understand why anyone would want to do this. we all know mother's milk is formulated especially for their own baby - how would your friend's baby benefit from something intended for another individual? just posting this makes me feel like i'm not open minded enough... am i missing something? do i need to be more open minded here?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Jacquitta McManus posted a status
"I’m naming this illustration I love my freckles. I love how her nose freckles came out. I hope you can see them. http://bit.ly/1kNZRNd"
Monday
"Cassidy: I Didn't Do It... http://bit.ly/1mNYVby"
Apr 4
Doris Anne Beaulieu posted a video

Fun Dolphin Birthday Cake

Have fun with it and give it a try. A Dolphin Birthday Cake is special for those of all ages and makes for a good conversation piece.Hope you enjoy it and sh...
Mar 28

Public Opinion Of All Drivers Wanted

I need to see if I'm right or not so I want every driver who ever hit a mail box to please give me your opinion on this video.If you know of anyone who had a...
Mar 19
"My radio interview last night with host William Hayashi on Genesis Science Fiction Radio was a lot of fun... http://bit.ly/1gyxkDk"
Mar 15

Woodpecker's Justice Story Of 1891

A horribly sad story,but one we can learn from so pass this video to all those you know with kids and bird loves.Interesting fact that needs to be shared.
Mar 14
Jamielee Kimball and BrEnDa are now friends
Mar 10
Jacquitta McManus commented on Momlogic's group Blogging Mamas
Mar 9

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Momlogic.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service