momlogic community

I have a 16m old baby girl who has just taken her tantrums up a level! She turns into a completely different baby when this happens and the other day she jumped ship (out of the crib) and hit her head pretty bad when she landed. She's doing it mostly at naptime, has anyone else gone through this? Any suggestions? Heeeeeeelp!!!!!

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow!! If she keeps getting herself out of her crib then maybe it's time for a toddler bed!! I do believe that's the first sign for a big girl bed!! Which I'm sure you already know!! Good luck with that!! And Jamie!! I have a boy and a girl!! Man I find boys are a lot harder!!! I guess it must depend on the child!! But my four year old daughter is starting to push her boundaries and her Mom is loosing her mind!! Lol!!
If she jumped from the crib you should definatly get her a toddler bed. My daughter was afraid of heights so she stayed
in her crib until it was confiscated for her baby bro. He climbed out of that thing A LOT!. I found the only thing that worked with tantrums was ignoring them. I would say, clearly and clamly, "You're upset. I can not understand you when you're upset. I 'm going to let you calm yourself down then you can come by be when you're done." And I basically walk away and ignore them. My children quickly learned that tantrums just didnt work. My husband would always order them to stop or try to reason with them. Both methods were totally futile. Hello? You're trying to reason with someone who's idea of stimulating entertainment is a giant purple dinosaur!
My daughter used to cry for a half hour at nap time. A lot of times I think she ended up falling asleep just because all the crying wore her out. She was sleeping from 8pm to 8am in the evening so I just cut her nap completely. Instead we just had afternoon quite time. I plunked her on the couch with her blankie and told her she had to rest for a while. No toys or tv. She just didn't need that nap.
AAAAAARRRRRGGG Jamie! That's what I've been told but I really didn't think it would be this bad. She's a little dama queen but the tantrums is just crazy, neither of my boys did those. I can't believe they don't outgrow it!

~Jamie said:
Good luck and just wait it out. My 11 year old daughter is pretty much still doing the same thing. Welcome to the world of girls!! Who knew right?? Boys so much easier!
Aw Shawna, I just don't know how I'll get her to stay on the bed if I put her in the toddler bed now! She'll def not stay put and I don't want to have to put her in my room. How old was Hanna when you put her in her toddler bed?

Shawna said:
Wow!! If she keeps getting herself out of her crib then maybe it's time for a toddler bed!! I do believe that's the first sign for a big girl bed!! Which I'm sure you already know!! Good luck with that!! And Jamie!! I have a boy and a girl!! Man I find boys are a lot harder!!! I guess it must depend on the child!! But my four year old daughter is starting to push her boundaries and her Mom is loosing her mind!! Lol!!
Thanks Megan. That's what she does but they can last for hours! Sometimes she even bites herself and she throws things too. I'm just so worried now that she'll try to jump again.

megan harris said:
My five year old started tantrums about that time too. Her tantrums were EXTREME! She did it in the middle of the night even. I just had to ignore her and wait it out (which took forever sometimes) and she would finally stop on her own. The more I tried to intervene the wrose she would get. She hasn't done it in a year or so, so hopefully your sweet girl will grow out of it too!
Good luck!!
Cinthia, you are funny....lol at purple dinasour! Thanks for the suggestion. kk sleeps from 10 pm to 10 am too so I have put the blankie on the floor with a pillow and that's her resting spot but I find that when she doesn't take a nap, she's extremely whinny and short tempered. Maybe we'll look into the toddler bed like you and Shawna suggested. Thanks again.

Cynthia K said:
If she jumped from the crib you should definatly get her a toddler bed. My daughter was afraid of heights so she stayed
in her crib until it was confiscated for her baby bro. He climbed out of that thing A LOT!. I found the only thing that worked with tantrums was ignoring them. I would say, clearly and clamly, "You're upset. I can not understand you when you're upset. I 'm going to let you calm yourself down then you can come by be when you're done." And I basically walk away and ignore them. My children quickly learned that tantrums just didnt work. My husband would always order them to stop or try to reason with them. Both methods were totally futile. Hello? You're trying to reason with someone who's idea of stimulating entertainment is a giant purple dinosaur!
My daughter used to cry for a half hour at nap time. A lot of times I think she ended up falling asleep just because all the crying wore her out. She was sleeping from 8pm to 8am in the evening so I just cut her nap completely. Instead we just had afternoon quite time. I plunked her on the couch with her blankie and told her she had to rest for a while. No toys or tv. She just didn't need that nap.
Hannah was was around 19 months when we put her in the toddler bed. But that was only because we needed the crib for her brother that was on the way!! She was a handful as well I have to tell you!! She kept coming out of her room! So we closed it. Then she learned how to open doors so we used a child proof lock on her door. Which now when I think back on it was a bad idea! But that seemed to help for awhile. Then I think she got tired of being locked in her room one day. That was it for the lock, I took it off and left her door open!!! She was fine after that! Man, the mess she made of her room. Books, clothes, just everything every wheres!! We even had a bureau fall on top of her! That was too scary!! Well, Justin on the other was / is no problem at all!! He was about 22 months old!! He's fine!! I was surprised! We close his door at night. He can't open doors yet! He doesn't make a mess in his room at all!!!

Its me..Marie said:
Aw Shawna, I just don't know how I'll get her to stay on the bed if I put her in the toddler bed now! She'll def not stay put and I don't want to have to put her in my room. How old was Hanna when you put her in her toddler bed?

Shawna said:
I would move the crib mattress to the floor. The safest place-set boundaries and be consistent. Kids love to test our patience to learn about their world.
See, that's what I have to do now, I put her in her crib and close the door, bc if not, she'll wake everyone in the house! She started opening the door already too so I'm afraid that if I put her in a toddler bed, she'll just get up and walk around or open the door and scream up a storm. She screamed for over an hour the other day and I war ready to jump out the window (if only this was a 5 story house..lol) but it wouldn't have done me any good! Yeah, I don't ever remember going through that with my 2 boys, they have both always been super mellow so this is a huge change for me!

Shawna said:
Hannah was was around 19 months when we put her in the toddler bed. But that was only because we needed the crib for her brother that was on the way!! She was a handful as well I have to tell you!! She kept coming out of her room! So we closed it. Then she learned how to open doors so we used a child proof lock on her door. Which now when I think back on it was a bad idea! But that seemed to help for awhile. Then I think she got tired of being locked in her room one day. That was it for the lock, I took it off and left her door open!!! She was fine after that! Man, the mess she made of her room. Books, clothes, just everything every wheres!! We even had a bureau fall on top of her! That was too scary!! Well, Justin on the other was / is no problem at all!! He was about 22 months old!! He's fine!! I was surprised! We close his door at night. He can't open doors yet! He doesn't make a mess in his room at all!!!

Its me..Marie said:

Shawna said:
lol! I guess I do too but I'm used to being the only one to throw tantrums, I've never gotten it back! lol!

~Jamie said:
I'm 35 and still throwing tantrums when I don't get my way! LOL
Its me..Marie said:
AAAAAARRRRRGGG Jamie! That's what I've been told but I really didn't think it would be this bad. She's a little dama queen but the tantrums is just crazy, neither of my boys did those. I can't believe they don't outgrow it!

~Jamie said:
Good luck and just wait it out. My 11 year old daughter is pretty much still doing the same thing. Welcome to the world of girls!! Who knew right?? Boys so much easier!
Hmmm, not a bad idea, do you mean out of the crib and on the floor?

Amy said:
I would move the crib mattress to the floor. The safest place-set boundaries and be consistent. Kids love to test our patience to learn about their world.
Yup, that's what I did too (great idea) !! I placed an extra mattress on the floor beside the toddler bed just in case she fell out!! My son did not need it at all!! I guess it's the second time being a mom syndrome!!

Its me..Marie said:
Hmmm, not a bad idea, do you mean out of the crib and on the floor?

Amy said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Jacquitta McManus posted a status
"I’m naming this illustration I love my freckles. I love how her nose freckles came out. I hope you can see them. http://bit.ly/1kNZRNd"
Monday
"Cassidy: I Didn't Do It... http://bit.ly/1mNYVby"
Apr 4
Doris Anne Beaulieu posted a video

Fun Dolphin Birthday Cake

Have fun with it and give it a try. A Dolphin Birthday Cake is special for those of all ages and makes for a good conversation piece.Hope you enjoy it and sh...
Mar 28

Public Opinion Of All Drivers Wanted

I need to see if I'm right or not so I want every driver who ever hit a mail box to please give me your opinion on this video.If you know of anyone who had a...
Mar 19
"My radio interview last night with host William Hayashi on Genesis Science Fiction Radio was a lot of fun... http://bit.ly/1gyxkDk"
Mar 15

Woodpecker's Justice Story Of 1891

A horribly sad story,but one we can learn from so pass this video to all those you know with kids and bird loves.Interesting fact that needs to be shared.
Mar 14
Jamielee Kimball and BrEnDa are now friends
Mar 10
Jacquitta McManus commented on Momlogic's group Blogging Mamas
Mar 9

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Momlogic.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service