momlogic community

my son is going to be 9 and we have signed him up for sleep-away camp. he kind of knows but we haven't discussed it much. it is a camp that i went to and loved and still have some of my oldest friends from there. when should we start talking it up?

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good for you, I think a sleep away camp is the best thing. My son went the first time for a week summer camp two years ago. He has ADHD and when he came home from the camp he was a totally different child. He grew up so much. We talked about it for weeks before he left. The more you talk about it the better. Focus on the positive things, like all the things he will be doing. Don't focus on the fact that he will be sleeping there. And I promise at night time, he will be so tired that he wont even think about the fact that he isn't home with you. Which is a good thing.
I say good for you, too. I have fond memories of summer camp when I was younger.

You can begin talking it up a couple weeks before. The trick is to choose a time that's not so far away he can't imagine or hardly wait, but that isn't so near he feels it was sprung on him at the last minute. Also, ask him probing questions like, "What do you think it will be like?" or "How do you feel about camp?"

Here's a practical article that may give you additional info: http://www.brendanixon.com/summercamp.htm.
my son went to his in about the first grade, and he absolutely loved it. i think its great for them to have that experience of slight freedom, living on their own if you will! I think its a great gift to give your kids. Hope he has a blast!
As soon as possible.
I think that is GREAT!!! My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 10. He went to camp endres for a week! I think it does them good to get away and be around other kids. In his case kids like him! He has gone one other time since but he is in football and being gone a week means he misses a weeks worth of pratice. Guess you'd just have to be a football player to understand...ha!
i sent 3 of my kids to a summer sleep over camp-a very well known one- in fact----- the first year was great. the second year-my sister in law worked at the camp as a camp counselor.-so i felt safe. was i ever wrong... the cabin my 2nd oldest son was suppose to be(thank god he was removed because they over booked) a counselor was hired that year and was molesting the boys in the cabin-they were 9 and 10 years old. i was so infuriated and sick to my stomach for all those boys and their parents... and i just thank god my son got moved out of there! so-camp sounds great....until this kind of stuff happens.not a very good memory for a little kid. food for thought.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Jacquitta McManus posted a status
"I’m naming this illustration I love my freckles. I love how her nose freckles came out. I hope you can see them. http://bit.ly/1kNZRNd"
Monday
"Cassidy: I Didn't Do It... http://bit.ly/1mNYVby"
Apr 4
Doris Anne Beaulieu posted a video

Fun Dolphin Birthday Cake

Have fun with it and give it a try. A Dolphin Birthday Cake is special for those of all ages and makes for a good conversation piece.Hope you enjoy it and sh...
Mar 28

Public Opinion Of All Drivers Wanted

I need to see if I'm right or not so I want every driver who ever hit a mail box to please give me your opinion on this video.If you know of anyone who had a...
Mar 19
"My radio interview last night with host William Hayashi on Genesis Science Fiction Radio was a lot of fun... http://bit.ly/1gyxkDk"
Mar 15

Woodpecker's Justice Story Of 1891

A horribly sad story,but one we can learn from so pass this video to all those you know with kids and bird loves.Interesting fact that needs to be shared.
Mar 14
Jamielee Kimball and BrEnDa are now friends
Mar 10
Jacquitta McManus commented on Momlogic's group Blogging Mamas
Mar 9

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Momlogic.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service