momlogic community

(Los Angeles - May 29, 2009) - Recently, the mother of a 555 lb 14-year-old boy was arrested for medically neglecting him by allowing him to become obese. All I can say is that it's about time parents were held responsible for raising kids the size of baby elephants.

Radical Mommy: As most parents out there are aware, being a parent is a huge responsibility -- it's also a huge pain in the ass.

I'm not saying that the children themselves are a pain (much), I'm saying that looking after them can be. In particular, cooking for kids can be a huge chore. Kids are picky eaters, and as parents, we're often too exhausted or overwhelmed to fight the good fight and get them to eat things that are healthy for them.

Often, exhausted parents resort to slapping a Big Mac or a pizza pie in front of a child because it's the easiest thing to do. As far as I'm concerned, when it's done in moderation and in conjunction with a good, physically active routine for the child, then more power to ya -- take the easy route. But when that's all a child eats, while sitting his fat ass on the couch -- then that is a freakin' crime, and you, the parent, should be held responsible.

Now I am not perfect -- my son doesn't always eat a perfectly balanced diet. In fact, last night he ate a cupcake before dinner and after dinner, so as you can see, I'm in no way a stickler.

The difference is, my 5-year-old son exercises. He takes swimming lessons twice a week, he plays soccer on Sundays, he runs around the park like a lunatic, and on the weekends you can't keep him out of the pool.

I know exactly what is happening right now as you all read this -- you're thinking that a lot of people don't have the luxury of a swimming pool in their backyard and many people cannot afford swimming lessons and soccer league. But let me tell you this: we save money so that my son can have access to these things, and as for the pool -- I live in Southern California and it came with the house.

Like many of you, I work, and I have to make my son dinner when I get home, so I know how tired you are when you get home and are faced with the ease of a frozen pizza versus the hassle of a healthy, cooked meal. Not only do I know, I've resorted to it on many occasions.

But as far as I am concerned, there is NO excuse for letting your kids get fat -- in fact, it makes me cringe to see kids that are even 10 lbs overweight. It's downright abusive to let your kids eat s*** and lay around like beached whales because you can't be bothered to cook for them or play with them and get them off their fat asses.

Being fat as a child is not only physically damaging, it's also socially and mentally damaging -- we all know kids will make fun of, and people will judge, your child for being overweight.

The turbulent waters of childhood and adolescence are hard enough to navigate when there is nothing physically "wrong" with you, so why would you allow your child to be set apart by something that can be 100% controlled? And don't tell me your child has a medical problem that makes him obese, because he doesn't (only something like 2% of the population has a medical condition that leads to obesity) -- his only problem is that he stuffs too many Ho Hos and Ding Dongs into his mouth and doesn't exercise enough.

Call me a bitch, I don't care. But if you allow your child to become obese, that child should be taken away from you -- because you are abusing him. It's as simple as that. You wouldn't allow a parent to give their child drugs, would you? Well, being morbidly obese at a young age is just as dangerous as doing drugs.

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sadly just being "fat" doesn't necessarily mean neglect. What if they have some medical problems that cause it and so forth. I think it's easy to judge but until you've lived it (although I have to say it's been pretty easy keeping my child from overeating) I doubt you can judge. I was an obese teen. I was skinny until I hit puberty and my mom did not over feed us nor did we eat out a lot cause we couldn't afford it. Some birth defect issues and 8 years of no help from doctors managed to hinder my ability to play sports (which I had done up until I was 14 before my problems started).

You know though I say if people who make their kids fat should be arrested so should those who don't vaccinate. They're putting their kids and others at risk. So everything that is potentially harmful should be made an arrestable offense. Hey no smoking either, cause second hand smoke kills!
I definitely do not agree at all with this. My children, for the most part, eat healthy and have a very active lifestyle. My oldest son is extremely skinny, so much so that I had to start giving him whole milk for a while to put a little bit of meat on him so he didn't look as though he'd break. He's now back on skim milk like the rest of our family. My daughter is my second child and she is nowhere near as thin as my son. She has the same father as my son does, eats the same things but less and is more active than my oldest and is not losing her baby fat at all. My youngest son is what I'd call thick. People that work with my husband nicknamed him "Tank" at 2 years old. This boy is going to be my linebacker when he grows up! He too eats the same things, has the same father, is extremely active and is also a big chunk. I can't say it's because they're eating crap and not exercising because I make healthy meals completely from scratch, (we eat a lot of chicken, fish, and veggies) and the kids play soccer, baseball, teeball, basketball, run on the playgrounds during recess, play outside on a daily basis, swim on the weekends at the pool at the gym and wrestle with each other on a constant basis. These kids never stop. Yet all of them are different sizes. A lot has to do with genes while yes diet and exercise also come into play. My brothers and I were stick thin growing up but I have gained a lot of weight after my three kids and it has taken 8 years and I'm still trying to lose it. My brothers are 6'3" and 6'11", my cousin is 6'6" and my husband is 6'3". I assume due to my family genes, our kids will be very tall. My parents, my aunts and uncles and my grandparents along with my husband's grandma are all overweight. My uncle was to the point he needed the lap band surgery to help him lose the weight. We have a lot of history of degeneration of the bones in our hips and knees in our family which causes for bad joint and back pain which has led to the weight gain when we've gotten older so though some thin people want to blame obesity completely on the fact that people are lazy and eat wrong because they've never had the problems others have, I think it's safe to say that generalizing about somebody's condition is probably not something that should be done. I do agree with the author that someone that is 555 lbs. has most likely been neglected but for you to say that 10 lbs overweight is also neglect is just being ignorant. Not everyone has the ability to be a size 4 just because they eat right and exercise. Every body is made differently.
Dang, that's cold! What a way to put it! I mean kids who are moderately overweight , okay who cares. But I agree when you let a child gain twice to three times their weight then we are looking at a serious problem. I was an overweight child and I am still overweight. It has effected me in some ways and so I make it my goal to make sure that my son doesn't end up the same way. He is much like your son. Eats a lot, doesn't eat healthy all the time. But he is very active. We take him to the park once if not twice a week or just let him run around in the back yard. When we exercise he is right there with us. And with healthy snacks like fruit, which he loves, we let him have all that he wants. But we put a limit on junk, which I don't even buy except upon request by my husband and I. I agree much of the responsibility lies with the parents. Control your fridge and then you can control your child's weight.
But you can't say every child that is over weight is all to blame on the parents. I have a friend who has a daughter that at about 10 to 12 months had issues with seizures which they thought was caused by a case of meningitis. And when she began taking medication she blew up like a butterball. She was so fat that her eyes looked as if she was squinting all the time. Yet, she was barely eating and way behind developmentally. Well her and her SIL went to a restaurant and a lady at another table began to make comments about how fat she was. Saying how could she let her get that way. So her SIL got up and told her off telling her that the baby was very sick and how could she make such comments about a sick child. Because they were so upset at the lady for her comments they left. And before they left the manager went to the table and asked the women who made all the comments to leave. Well, she had surgery which has help to eradicate the seizures. And once she stop taking the medication she lost weight very quickly. But my friend was constantly upset because people would make comments to her not knowing the situation and accusing her of being a bad mother because they thought she overfed her daughter.

I just felt that it was a lesson to be learned when you see an overweight child sometimes. You can't always blame it on the parents. Sometimes there just are medical conditions and medication that cause children to gain weight regardless of what they eat.

Nowadays, it seems that women pop stars are becoming more and more bold as far as their clothes are concerned. It was known that you can see many women stars wearing Herve Leger Dresses when they attend the ceremony or the banquet. Herve Leger makes them more charming, more attractive.

Polo Ralph Lauren

When we were little girls , we often dreamed that if only we had magic power, then we could have what we want and do what we like.. Now, we also want some magic clothes to make us look nice enough and make self the goddess in his heart. Thanks those cloth designers who design so many nice clothes for us to choose. True Religion

True Religion Jeans

Herve Leger is one of the best products that help us become more and more charming. It has the most elaborate design, smooth lines, the most perfect most comfortable soft cloth and the most distinctive color of dazzling. Concise and clean the clipping cultivate one's morality, all of the women express themselves with its great help.

Ralph Lauren Polo Outlet

A dress can be both formal and in formal and it could be party dresses or casual dresses. May be you do not need to wear Herve Leger skirt every day,but you do need a Herve Leger Dress in your wardrobe in case a party or an important occasion. Herve Leger will create a memorable image for you.

Discount True Religion Jeans

We all have the right to be an elegant, attractive woman, closely follow in its footsteps and you will not be disappointed.

Soccer Uniform Soccer Uniforms Soccer Jerseys Shop

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Jacquitta McManus posted a status
"I’m naming this illustration I love my freckles. I love how her nose freckles came out. I hope you can see them. http://bit.ly/1kNZRNd"
Monday
"Cassidy: I Didn't Do It... http://bit.ly/1mNYVby"
Apr 4
Doris Anne Beaulieu posted a video

Fun Dolphin Birthday Cake

Have fun with it and give it a try. A Dolphin Birthday Cake is special for those of all ages and makes for a good conversation piece.Hope you enjoy it and sh...
Mar 28

Public Opinion Of All Drivers Wanted

I need to see if I'm right or not so I want every driver who ever hit a mail box to please give me your opinion on this video.If you know of anyone who had a...
Mar 19
"My radio interview last night with host William Hayashi on Genesis Science Fiction Radio was a lot of fun... http://bit.ly/1gyxkDk"
Mar 15

Woodpecker's Justice Story Of 1891

A horribly sad story,but one we can learn from so pass this video to all those you know with kids and bird loves.Interesting fact that needs to be shared.
Mar 14
Jamielee Kimball and BrEnDa are now friends
Mar 10
Jacquitta McManus commented on Momlogic's group Blogging Mamas
Mar 9

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Momlogic.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service